Well, I didn't do anything crazy for the New Year. We went to Rachael & Kevin's house for the evening. We played a game that was new to us - Mafia. Very interesting game requiring actually no game pieces etc. It would be very hard to explain so next time I see you - we can get a group together and play. It really got my blood pumping as I was vehemently claiming to be innocent. Anyway. It's a new year. 2007. Wow. That makes me feel old. I remember back in the 80's and the 90's. (Okay I guess I am not that old). I am thankful for 26 years of wisdom - I wouldn't trade it to be a teenager again or in college. Never.
I have been contemplating our American Materialistic celebration of Christmas. Maybe I am getting old. Maybe I am growing up. Now, before you strongly disagree with me... hear me out. I love to buy gifts for other people. It brings me pleasure. But, I don't necessarily need a gift in return at all. That said, I think that we miss the point of Christmas in our frenzied shopping and mile long lists. Christmas is about the birth of Jesus Christ. Our savior. Our messiah. We should spend time celebrating Him. Instead we write lists of things we "want" because surely as Americans we do not have many "needs." And we exchange lists of our wants. I guess the fact that I write out a Christmas list of my wants (when I can surely live the rest of my life without them) makes me feel shallow. If we as Christians, celebrate the same as non-Christians - I daresay something better could be done. There must be a deeper and better way to celebrate the birth Christ. It is a season of giving. I did some extra giving to a family in need, adopt a child, and missions but - I suppose I need to do a better job of getting involved in outreach programs. That would be the way to celebrate Christmas. Well, that's all I'll say about that. Any comments out there. Please don't be shy. I'm up for debate. ha ha.
Happy New Year. Make it great. Eat right. Exercise. Devotions. all that good stuff.
6 comments:
Nice thoughts Tara, we do need to think of others, especially at this time of year! Waiting to hear from you about my pictures? Let me know.
Love you and miss you, it's always too quiet after everyone's been home!
Good morning - Good point! I'm sure we can think of ways to make Christmas less commercial, though I do enjoy our getting together, and our time of expressions of love for each other. :-) I, too, have tried to reach out to others, and not just at Christmas, but probably need to do more. I sensed that Uncle K's intro to our opening of gifts helped us all to focus on the true meaning of Christmas. It was great to see you - and thanks again for taking time to come and visit me :-). Sorry you didn't find your "Letter Box" stamp or whatever...you'll have to come and try again. :-) Love you both lots
Wow...what a great way to start the new year with such thought provoking comments. I agree with you totally. It is weird how the older we get the more our thoughts change about things like you were mentioning. I know with having kids it has even changed my thinking about the holdiays even more than before. I want them to grow up realizing that Christmas is not about the "get" so much as the "give." I get so much joy and reward out of giving someone a gift who truly appreciates it. It is as much fun for me as actually getting a gift myself. :)
We sure have come a long ways since our "jump-roping" days, haven't we? Good to hear from you.
MM
Okay...how in the world did that happen? Did I really post it 2 times? lol!
I'm not sure how that happened either. But, I took care of it for you. :) Thanks for the comments.
Post a Comment