Friday, January 19, 2007

Missouri Boys in the news

Happy Friday morning! I wanted everyone to know that the gas price one block away from our house is $1.91 - woo how!

I haven't closely been following the news about Shawn Hornbeck but yesterday he appeared on the Oprah Winfrey show. I have several comments about the whole situation. October 6, 2002 - apparently this kid was abducted. He has been missing for 4 years. His parents set up a website and have done extensive searching. Here is the odd thing in my opinion. This kid had freedoms - phone, INTERNET!!!!!!!, and playing with friends. I cannot get over the fact that for FOUR YEARS this kid never slipped to someone - that he was kidnapped or his real name. ALSO - he posted a comment on his parents website that stated something like, "How long will you continue to search for your son? - Shawn Devlin" I find that stupid - basically. Why not say something more encouraging like - "your son is alive.... look for your son at this address...." So, in a nut shell - what was wrong with this kid? I mean internet access.... you have the world at your finger tips. Phone???? HELLO! E.T. Phone home!! Maybe the kid didn't want to go home. Couldn't that be a possibility? Or, what was wrong with the parents that they didn't teach him enough that he would have courage to try to get away. That's just too odd for me to wrap my brain around. AND LAST - if he really was abducted....held for 4 years.... WHAT PARENTS AFTER welcoming their surely traumatized son home would then put him on the Oprah show? What child after being abducted....held for 4 years... would after less than a week want to go on the Oprah show? I am not knocking the Oprah show but as a parent my first response would be let's start counseling. "Something is rotten in the state of Denmark." ~Shakespeare~

Now, just to give the other side a fair hearing. I am not sure that I totally buy this guy's comments but here you go.... You decide. Tell me what you think. Dr. Clint Van Zandt is a former FBI profiler, an MSNBC analyst and the author of the book Facing Down Evil. (He was on the Oprah show also.) He says the bottom line is if you're 11 or 13 and you've got a potentially 6-foot-4, 300-pound aggressor…you do what you have to do to survive sometimes," Clint says. During Ben and Shawn's healing process, Clint says it's imperative not to ask one simple question. "What we don't want to do is say, 'Why?' Why didn't you call? Why didn't you pick up the phone?" Clint says. "Because he was traumatized. Because he was frightened. Because he was in a survival mode. There are emotional handcuffs. There are psychological prisons we can be in without bars."Clint also says to give these boys time. "We need to give these two kids some slack and let them have time to find themselves," Clint says. "Let them create new memories."

Have a great day!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Tara,

I agree, it is a mystery, BUT... brainwashing is a very powerful thing, and we don't know what that guy TOLD the kid. He may have made up lies about the parents or many other things to convince him that he was better off there, or of course, there's the possibility of threatening to hurt him or someone else if he tried. We'll probably NEVER know. But yes, it is confusing...

Love you, have a good day!

Regi said...

Hey Tara,

I know exactly what you mean but I do agree with your mom. I have read several profiling books by FBI agents as well as some geographic profiling books. Depending on what the kidnapper actually said to the kid, I can imagine him not saying anything to anyone. Good blog thought!

Regi said...

Make that "good blog though" OOPS!

Anonymous said...

Interesting thoughts on the recent situation. I found myself wondering some of the same stuff. BTW i got your card in the mail, Thanks. I liked it even if it was late. :D As far as snowboarding on the grass, Titus had some of the best snow today and had about 18 trails open thanks to the 10 inches of fresh snow we got at the beginning of the week. I'll think of you when i go again on thursday night as well.

skier1998 said...

Okay, maybe I was a bit harsh. But, it still seems fishy. :-) Oh - correction. Gas was 1.89 this morning.

Anonymous said...

Shall I mention that I paid $1.73 for gas a few hours ago? :)
~
I heard someone talking about the Hornbeck case and they suggested that perhaps he was initially a runaway who was taken advantage of by the "kidnapper". So maybe he originally (or even all along) didn't want to be "rescued".

Anonymous said...

I'm moving SOMEWHERE, I was elated that the gas prices here were below $2.50 yesterday!!! All the way down to $2.49. You gotta love NEW YORK!!!

Anonymous said...

Not sure what all I think about this situation. I agree something seems questionably, but I also know I would be scared to death of what might happen if I tried to get away.

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog. Where did you find me?

Email me sometime. the5weavers@sbcglobal.net

Later, Gator!!

Anonymous said...

questionablE. 8-)

Dwight Donahey said...

Don't feel bad about it - I've had questions of my own about this situation!