Saturday, September 29, 2007

Speedy Saturday

Yes, It is true. I have high speed internet. yeah. It was extremely simple to set up also. So, I figured I would upload some vacation pictures. We went camping, rapelling, and hiking with Matt's family south of Pittsburg, Ohiopyle Sate Park.
Then, my family rented a cabin in the Smoky Mountains. Lots of fun. These are a few random pix.

Vacation Pix

Thanks for the comments on my question below. (In case you didn't respond, the polls are still open.) My question for the week: What book did you find most useful to read during your pregnancy??

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Someone recommended that I read My First Three Hundred Babies by Gladys Hendrix (not sure I spelled her name right - the book is loaned out right now) and Becoming Babywise by Gary Ezzo. When Allan was two months old and waking every two hours round the clock and I was losing my mind I took the time to read them. Both are highly controversial to some people and as with every book - you take the wisdom and leave the trash. They gave me some principles to apply that resulted in #1 Keeping my sanity #2 Helped me to have rested, happy children which also contributed to #1. Some others find that What to Expect when You're Expecting is helpful. Reading all the things that could happen creeped me out so I quit reading it. Blessings!

Dixie said...

I loved reading "Your Pregnancy-week by week" by Dr. Glade B. Curtis,OB/GYN and Judith Schuler,M.S.
I also got a weekly e-mail from Babycenter.com that was really informative.
What to Expect When you're Expecting was ok.
I should have read My First Three Hundred Babies. I didn't get to that book until Carson was about 3months and still getting up 3 times during the night. I got good advice from a friend and borrowed that book and now he sleeps throught the night. Transitioning to sleeping through the night was not fun and games, but the end result- we are all happier.

The Lazy Philosopher said...

The BabyWise books are excellent. The only book I give away, the first book I recommend. Yes, they are controversial, but I think most of the controversy comes from not paying attention to what is actually in the book and just looking for a step-by-step create the perfect baby list. I have used the principles in BabyWise, ToddlerWise, and Pre-schoolWise on more than fifty kids beginning in their infancy and "raising" them through school age. In teaching, nannying, and parent counseling, I've never had a complaint about the results of the methods. In fact I have dozens of people who continually come back to learn how to build on those principles. But yes, as with anything, you have to apply common sense and individualization.
~
The No Cry Sleep Solution is a good book for learning about infant sleep patterns. But it too is a controversial book. The author leans heavily towards solutions like a family bed, and putting a bed for the child in the parents' room. Those kinds of habits are hard to break so you have to be sure you want to be sharing your bed with a six-year-old... I would recommend reading it, there is a wealth of information on how to help your baby soothe himself, as well as advice on creating bedtime rituals.
~
What To Expect... May I say that I heartily dislike this book? My friends' twin girls nearly had to be hospitalized for dehydration after their mother followed the instructions in the book. The author claims that giving an infant water to drink before they are a year old will "dangerously thin their blood" and can lead to death. So the poor girls hadn't had a drink of water in the five or six months they'd been around.
~
I know, I know, I'm not married, don't technically have any kids of my own, and so have no authority at all to speak on the subject matter. But may I anyway? :o) It's my favorite subject, and one that I've spent many many years studying. I never advise something I haven't tried myself, and I promise that I have very successfully either implemented, or assisted the parents in implementing all of my "techniques".
~
I can even provide references if you like.

Belle said...

Tara...Don't read "The Proper Care and Feeding of Your Husband" You will feel like a failure, becuase you don't feel like doing anything and your dear husband is doing everything for you. Michael finally told me to put the book down.

I have a list of books that my Child Birth Educator gave us in class, but didn't have a chance to read them. (You don't read as much second time around, ok I didn't anyway.) One that I would like to read is "The Thinking Women's Guide to a Better Birth" by Henci Goer. (If you get it read before I do let me know if it is good.)

Lazy Philosopher...would you please explain to me a little more about babies drinking water? I think I am understanding you to say that babies need water in their diet other than through the formula or breast milk.

Please explain, because I am very confused. Thanks:-)

The Lazy Philosopher said...

L-If you take equal amounts of breast milk and properly prepared formula and compare the consistency you can easily see that the breast milk looks more watery. A breast fed baby does not *need* additional water. A formula fed baby does. Without it you risk more problems with gas, constipation, formula intolerance, GER, etc.
But, though a breast fed baby can survive without the additional water, it's a good idea to offer it. First, remember that your baby is a real person, :o) You don't like to have milk residue left in your mouth, maybe she would like to rinse it out a little after she eats. It will make her more comfortable, and help her with identifying when she is hungry, and when she just wants to get the nasty taste out of her mouth. Second, in a few months, she will need the water in her diet and offering it now will teach her to accept and like it later. I know some kids who at the age of two or three still refuse to drink water because it wasn't offered until after they were started on solid foods. They will only drink milk, juice, or some terribly unhealthy sugared thing.
Offering her water early will only be a problem if you offer it instead of or before a feeding when it could take the edge off her appetite and cause her to get an incomplete feeding. A drink of water after she eats or between feedings is a good life habit to start early.

Belle said...

TLP - Thanks for the clarification!

Nancy said...

Reading all the others' comments have been very interesting. I feel a little timid giving my favorites, since they go against the others. I feel like I'm really sticking my neck out...! LOL!
I loved "What to Expect When You're Expecting". I always breast-fed and never offered water...like they say and always had very happy, healthy babies....even in the summertime.
I did read Gary Ezzo's book and thought it was useless and something I just could NEVER do. I had two happy sleepers from 6 weeks on. Caleb.....was a different story. He woke up three and four times a night. Mostly just wanted to be held and nursed or comforted. When does that become such a chore to take care of your baby? I admit, I had quite a few very SLEEPY days as a result. But I feel like I survived just fine(heart failure is not from lack of sleep) and my kids have all learned that whenever they cry, their Mommy will be right there to take care of them. I feel like we have a very good trust bond established. His night waking ceased on its own at around 7 months. I feel like we would be battling security issues if I had left him on his own to cry.
Like I said....all this information is very interesting. Sometimes what works for one will not for someone else. When you have your baby, your "Mommy" instincts will kick in...go with those...they always know what's best.
BTW, congratulations on your baby! That is such exciting news. I guess you are the only one pregnant at Burlington now????Since we don't go there anymore, I'm sort of behind on all the latest babies and such. Congratulations...hope all is well!

Nancy said...

Just thought I should clarify...I just stated my opinions...for whatever they're worth. The other Moms that have already
left their opinions are very excellent moms. If it worked for them, it has some merit. Just wanted to be sure they know I'm not trying to attack anyone :)Sometimes it's hard to convey what you mean on a blog!:)