Tuesday, April 29, 2008

The disaster story....

I also forgot to mention in the previous post that... I lost a lot of blood so I was/am anemic. I think its a hemoglobin count (since that is what carries oxygen through your body in your red blood cells) ... normal is 12 and mine was down to 6.7. Usually blood transfusions are given under 7 but my body was coping well so that wasn't even considered. (Normal bp, pulse, and I wasn't dizzy when I stood up.)

All in all - though the previous post sounds kinda crazy - Matt and I took it all in stride. It wasn't a stressful day at all - just a little long. And we have a healthy beautiful girl - so we have no regrets and are so thankful. :-)

Okay... probably about two days after my C-section I had a spot on my stomach that was kind of itchy. I reached to scratch and I felt something. So, I looked and to my surprise I found a patch with metal in the center. My first thought was - "WHAT HAVE THEY DONE TO ME! THEY PUT A CHIP IN ME!!!" Actually - I figured it was an electrode patch or something like that. When I asked the nurse about taking it off - she said I would want to do it in the shower because they are extremely sticky.

So, later that day I finally had my heplock (IV) removed and I could take a wonderful long awaited shower. Following my shower - I step out and realize I forgot to take the little alien patch off. So - back in the shower I go. AND - the nurse was not kidding. I think they used super glue to attach this patch. I was very intent on trying to cause myself as little pain as possible. I would use soap and peel a little etc. Very intense process. Finally I finish... and realize an odd sensation..... my feet are covered in water. NO WAY - my flip flop had been covering the drain the whole time. So - I quickly removed my foot.... allowing the water to drain... open the door and the bathroom floor is literally flooded. I threw down the few towels and open the bathroom door. Oh - it has slowly crept underneath the door out into the room too. Matthew is holding Emily - who conveniently starts screaming (of course). I have no towels because they are on the floor. I eye the water creeping so very close to the computer & cords right outside the bathroom door (where the nurses can do notes). I frantically mumble something to Matthew - who sees the disaster at hand - and he grabs the blanket off the bed and makes something like a dam to push the water back into the bathroom. I am in my bathrobe but shivering b/c I am soaking wet. I tell Matthew to call the nurse for more towels. The nurse comes with two... ha ha. Was she in for a surprise! Meanwhile - Em is still screaming and some friends show up to visit. Hmm..... not the best moment in hospital history. Actually - the nurse was really great. She cleaned it all up and steered our guest to the waiting room while we regained our composure. Ha. Ha. This is a story for the baby book - indeed!!!!

5 comments:

Regi said...

That is great! Exactly like something that I would do. I am so happy for you guys! I love the pic at the top of your blog, the three McCaslands!

Tim and Kristina said...

I won't laugh!! Who knows what is going to happen to me in the next week or so!!
I love the picture at the top of your blog.

Belle said...

LOL!!That is very funny!!

Sarah Cook said...

Love the story! So very funny! I needed that laugh! Your baby is sooo precious! Lots of hair, huh? Congratulations!

Liz said...

She's absolutely beautiful! So glad she made it safely! Love her name too! See you at the wedding maybe!